Monday, November 22, 2010

SuperFlat

I have always been a fan of Takashi Murikami and his "superflat" art work. Superflat is a post modern art movement that is heavily influenced by Japanese Manga and Anime. Murikami himself founded this art movement. I really enjoy the depth it creates by simply using color vectors.
When questioned about it he answered, "I'd been thinking about the reality of Japanese drawing and painting and how it is different from Western art. What is important in Japanese art is the feeling of flatness. Our culture doesn't have 3-D," he says. "Even Nintendo, when it uses 3-D, the Japanese version looks different from the U.S. version. Mortal Combat in the U.S comes out as Virtual Fighter in Japan and it's different." 
I am interested in creating something similar to this in my wall mural.

No comments:

Post a Comment