Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Kites

 Waiting for my flight at the Spokane airport I noticed some interesting artwork hanging from the ceiling. The kite like figures all had the same triangular formation that made up the main structure of each respective item with additional fabric patterns that seemed to differ for each kite figure. I liked the color that the artists used, in my own artwork I always struggle to find color schemes that work well together and I feel that this pieces color scheme does work. I also really enjoy the curvy lines that the kites have, it adds an organic aspect to the rigid frame of the kits.  What I didn't like was the little geometric ball that were placed in between these objects, these items are children's toys and I have seen them on sale in stores. I feel like it takes away from this "hand crafted/scrap book" feel that the  fabric on the kites gives.
One thing that I looked at on this particular installation of art is if the area or setting that it is located in takes an effect on the work. This question really got me thinking about a conversation I had with my art teacher a few weeks ago;
The kites must have some kind of significance with aviation since the piece is located in an airport. Since the kites were hung from the ceiling to make them look as if they were in flight. Where the balls set to give the kites more balance between each of the jagged shaped kites? What would the piece look like without those balls that I dislike so much?
All of this being said it would really have dramatically altered the feeling of the piece if the setting were changed for example what happens if they were no longer clustered together and instead scattered throughout the whole airport? What would happen if as you walked through the airport you saw differing size kites starting with a really small kite and then the final kite you see is enormous?




No comments:

Post a Comment