Tuesday, November 16, 2010

It's Basketball Season Again


As the Portland Trail Blazers end their road trip, I must say that I felt somewhat satisfied with theme finish just over .500 with a record of 6-5. It’s odd to be happy with a sub-par winning record considering we have lost a few close games. But there is a big factor that needs to be taken into consideration. Injuries have plagued the blazers ever since picking up Greg Oden in 2007. For the past 3 years I have been waiting for the Blazers to get 100% healthy so they can be the team I know that they can be.
So far 3 centers have had knee injuries that have put them out for deep into the seasons length. Brandon Roy, the superstar player on Portland is battling knee problems as well.  He was quoted on saying that his knees have worn down to “bone on bone” which makes me wonder how many more years he is even going to be able to play in the NBA. He is not in the lineup to play against the Memphis Grizzles. In my opinion, with Oden out due to injury, Roy is the one guy that is keeping us from being a competitive top tear team and bad team that is struggling to finish games with a winning record.
Watching Roy for the past couple games has been really disheartening. He has had to come off the court and go into the locker room on several occasions due to knee pains. We can see him icing his knees almost constantly on the bench throughout the whole game. Announcers are saying that he has been taking pills to numb the pain. On our most recent game against the New Orleans Hornets, Roy left the game assumingly due to knee pain. Roy only played about 20 minutes and the Blazers lost 87-107. 
I really hope for the best for Brandon Roy, he is a tough smart player. I enjoy watching him play a lot and I cannot picture a Portland Trail Blazer team without him. What bugs me the most is the fact that we went from “the young team with huge amounts of potential” in 2007 to becoming a consistently hurt team that is struggling to stay afloat. It’s hard to watch a team I like so much have such a rough season so far, but I am a die hard fan and can't wait to get back to Portland and going to a game in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment