Thursday, September 16, 2010

Not on task but at least I'm productive

So while sitting class listening to an art lecture, I got a little distracted and started looking at people's artwork on several of my favorite image dump sites. I ended up jumping from site to site and eventually stumbled on Los Angelos's Museum of  Contemporary art website (URL: http://www.moca.org/). Being a begginer web designer I couldn't help but take some time to look at the nice layout of the web page. It is so simple and clean, the strong header/navigator bar that makes navigating the page very easy. The content is broken down into three columns that break up pictures of current artwork being displayed, a middle passage, and outside links.
What really struck me was its simple and effective color scheme. It uses dramatic darks and lights to keep a clean look but draws the viewers eyes to links by giving them bright colors. A very sensible and well utilized color scheme.  I personally have trouble coming up with cohesive color schemes so I thought as a practice I could literally draw out the exact colors that the MOCA site uses.
To accomplish this I took a quick screen shot of my browser while navigating the home page, I then opened the image with Adobe Photoshop and pulled the exact colors from the sight. I used these colors to recreated the colors in a square to build a miniature color scheme block that have the same proportions to one another of use as the site. This lets me get a obvious feel for how each vector of color interacts with one another. I feel like if I use this same technique to develop color schemes for my future sites It might make my sites more cohesive.

No comments:

Post a Comment