Sunday, April 3, 2011

(DTC356 Blog 10) Remixing in the digital age


The video I chose was a remix on the Youtube user CopperCab which has been remixed in parody and comical fashion by the makers of South Park. I like this particular remix because it is instantly recognizable. Not only did I think it was funny, it was so funny in fact that, I  showed a couple of my friends which helped make it so viral. A good remix must be note worthy and recognizable.

Three things really popped out at me when I watched this video that Lawrence Lessig had wrote about in his book Remix;

Firstly, Lessig talked about how sampling other peoples texts from essays, you don't have to ask permission. He also found it ironic that when sampling peoples music, video, or arts it is considered stealing. This is a clear example of not asking for permission to remix the video. In this case the CopperCab was not so offended by non-permission of use but instead more offended by the mockery that South Park had made of him, and wanted it removed for that reason.

Secondly, I noticed that some of the higher viewed youtube channels also contained advertisement. The use of advertisement is a good way to pay for the users to access content for free at all times. Lessig explains that the providers of content can use money from advertisement to provide free content to it's viewers at all times. Lessig also continued to explain that the future television will no longer be about waiting for your TV show to be broadcasted but instead for the viewer to be able to view the content when ever and where ever.

Finally, at the end of the video I noticed that it had suggestions for other videos that I may be interested in. Due to the content that I had previously viewed youtube had suggested of other things that I might want to view next. At the home screen of youtube it has a list of videos that you might want to see according to your view history, what's popular, and who you are subscribed to. Lessig gave a very similar example of suggested selling on Amazon.com.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know who coppercab was until now, but I have seen this South Park episode so now it all make sense! South Park is one of my favs probably because they do a lot of parodies and make fun of people who sometimes really deserve it, like Britney and the cast from Twilight. Great connections to Lessig and great choice of remix!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd like to see you dig into Lessig a bit more with this post. You've made some really solid surface level connections, so I'd like to see you dig a bit deeper (I know you've got it in you). That being said, overall it's a decent post and a great example.

    ReplyDelete