Monday, January 17, 2011

(DTC356 Blog 1) Web 3.0 squared times ten billion

I just got the opportunity to read Tim O'Reilly and John Battelle's article Web Squared, Web 2.0 Five Years On. Before I really get into describing the main points of the article, I will give a little background on the previous article that it's proceeding. O'Reilly's article was describing the concept of  Web 2.0 and its effects on the internet. Five years later, he wrote this article once again describing the changes that the web has made.

The main points that I really took away from the article is that firstly the internet is quickly moving from our desktops and laptops  and into our pockets. More and more people are utilizing the web through mobile devices. This mobile idea itself increases the possibilities of the web in that the internet applications can be accessed anywhere there is service available. Another important fact that I was able to take away from the article is that the web is becoming increasingly intelligent at a fast rate. We are now interacting with the internet verbally; we are asking it questions and it is able to recognize what we are saying and is capable of giving us an answer, instructions, or the product that we want. The innovation of the Myford touch shows how computers are now listening and even coaching on how to drive more efficiently.  It is literally watching the way we drive, analyzing it, and giving us a new way to improve it. We are beginning to get the feeling that the internet is almost becoming a human being...



The coolest application that has come out is the idea of augmented reality. This concept is that the web can look at the outside world and recognize it. This opens the door for such amazing innovative ideas. Here is the example of Wikitude AR Travel Guide which recognizes traveler landmarks and gives a description of the subject and also other hotspots around the area.

6 comments:

  1. I love the MyFord mobile video! I have a Ford Focus and it has software called "Sync" which has voice recognition and can recognize different songs on my iPod and create "genius" playlists already, so I think it's awesome that they've taken it even further with this. I'm not surprised because technology is evolving further and further every day so it's really cool to see it in a way that I'm able to connect with! I also think it's a great example of Web squared. I feel like this is a great example of Web 2.0 (Sync) to Web squared (MyFord Touch).

    ReplyDelete
  2. That car is awesome, I haven't seen anything like it. They fact that it's SO user compatible is cool. It looks like something straight out of a sci-fi movie. I wonder if the gadgets on this car will be the norm for cars in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto to the positive comments on that sweet Ford video! I have not seen anything like that until now! I also like what you wrote about an augmented reality and think that it will continue to grow as fast, if not faster, than how fast the web itself is growing and expanding. I am curious to see what will be the "next big thing" involving augmented realities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the augmented reality part, I also like how you put pictures and videos up. Our phones are on beast mode now, they can do almost anything. I use to think that smart phones were cool when i got a big chunky one 4 years ago, man the internet sucked on it. Now I have a droid and surfing the internet is so easy, almost as good as my laptop. ALMOST.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MyFord Mobile? Wow, everything is going mobile these days! It's amazing how far technology has come. I really love the application you talk about, I love to travel and would so love to have an application like that on me at all times.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great example Caimen. That car is space agey. I'm still excited I have a car with an aux plug :)

    You did a great job with summarizing the chapter itself, and I get a good sense that you are really getting a handle on the readings. I would've been curious to hear a bit more about how it connects to what you see yourself doing in the future (the prompt suggested this) but the main points you drew out were really great. Well done.

    ReplyDelete